Thursday 27 December 2012

A Yuletide Windsurf

 Too windy to go 300ing today, so I thought I'd go windsurfing instead - it has been a while since I've been out on a board, and there was a good breeze running this morning.


High tide was at 10:30, I got to the foreshore at about 09:45 to find none of my windsurfing brethren in attendance.  This was a problem, it is not good practice to go out solo in a force 7, equipment failure would mean that you are in cold water with some distance to get to shore, and potentially no one knows your plight.  Fortunately another three sailors rocked up at 10:00, after prevarication for 5 mins on rig and board sizes we set out.

A bit too much West in the wind to be a classic harbour sailing day, but good fun nevertheless.  Very gusty winds and some fearsome squalls.  As well as hip flexors, I have discovered flexors in my forearms and shins (in many ways, windsurfing is like riding a bike - if you don't go for a while you can remember how to do it, but lose the fitness in key muscles).

I mounted the GoPro to the boom, not great footage as the camera angle was too high and frankly straightline blasting on a windsurfer makes for boring film.  But I attached a couple of clips for those interested.

First a view gybes, the flat water behind Fowley island made for easy gybing just so long as you avoided the grass patches.



A duck gybe and helitack:



And finally a gracefull dismount.  If a trick doesn't work out, the best thing to do is pretend that you were going to stop anyway, in this case to adjust harness lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment